Wednesday, April 04, 2007

An Open Apology:
After all, words can hurt

I was touched by a recent example of humility on one of the open threads during Conference, while Elder Holland was giving his bold and powerful talk. A person who had made sharp comments simply apologized. It actually brought tears to my eyes, in part because some of those sharp comments had caused me some pain. I was touched at this person's willingness to simply, quickly, and publicly apologize. I felt a healing in my heart because of this simple action.

Elder Holland's talk, that person's example, and recent experiences in my life have all combined to make me want to just say, "I'm sorry" if I have ever said anything or engaged in a way that caused you pain. It feels a bit weird to do it in this general way, but it's all I can do at this point.

This realm is so very limited, and I'm sorry when I too easily forget how much pain people might bring with them when they choose to come here. As much as people appear to be strong and ready to engage in lively discussion, I am reminded that often people come online with "sorrow that the eye can't see." I realize not everyone does, but there are enough who do. And I fear somewhere along the way the past year, my words may have inadvertently caused pain for someone already struggling. Although I make a concerted effort not to comment out of anger, frustration, or a spirit of criticism, I realize that even without the intent to inflict pain, words can still hurt.

If this has ever been the case with you, if my words have ever caused you pain, I am truly sorry, and I pray you can forgive me.